Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I think my allergy season is over!


So now there is no excuse for any lack of posts henceforth. I shall do my best, and I hope you'll forgive me if I blunder horribly at a later date.


Joe is asleep--hence my ability to write a logical post. That girl has taken to walking, so all we do is meander around the farm except for a quick pause for meals and naps here and there. Not a bad life, but it's not very conducive to a tidied house being outside all day instead of tending to indoor chores (oh well).

My doe rabbit had another litter of kits on Sunday--this time she had 10, but forgot to make a nest (it was my fault--I moved her to a bigger hutch too close to her due date if I had to guess), anyway, I scrambled to give her some dried grass and whatnot to make a nest with, and she did and her babies got warm and seem to be doing just fine. Typical drama of farm life once again.

As anybody who knows me is well aware I have lofty goals of self-sufficiency. I want to grow the immaculate garden and can, freeze, and preserve to my heart's content. I'm daydreaming about what next spring will hopefully bring about--lots of seedlings ready to go into a freshly tilled garden, and more seeds ready to sow directly as well. Our garden is located in what used to be a barnlot and the ground is absolutely awful. I'm planning on tilling this fall to pick out rocks and adding compost a bit for winter in hopes of a better start next spring.

A few of the veggies I'm hoping to grow next year are new potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, eggplant (because I've never tried it), cannellini beans, green beans, early peas, spinach, and various squash as well. We'll see how it all ends up.

Food (especially when it's fresh and from scratch) is the most amazing thing.

On a completely different topic--in less than two weeks my daughter will be a year old. She is the most amazing little person and I never knew I'd take to being a mother so well. She is the most easy going, fun, and happy little person I've ever met. She's going to love devouring her own little birthday cake--chocolate is her favorite of course--I'm sure I'll get some very dandy photos of the event.

She'll be waking up soon, so I better run and tidy a bit before she does.

No comments: