Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Community Supported Agriculture in 1918!

Illustration from the article.
I was reading the 1918 issues of Farm Journal on books.google.com and came across an article by Hal Fullerton. He discussed how to sell produce directly to people in cities using 'home hampers.' I hope you find the article as interesting as I did. Here is the link.
I cruised craigslist this morning looking for all sorts of livestock to daydream about buying, but not quite yet. I want to get our pastures worked into a bit better shape before I fill them with my cattle, sheep, goats, and hogs. I've still got quite a bit of beef from my calves I raised two years ago, so I'll probably hold off on finding another batch of calves until next spring. There were a bunch of extremely nice goat kids down at Dinky's auction last Friday, but I didn't watch them sell--if I did I imagine I'd be owning a couple right now. The goats would help knock down the brush, so it's okay to buy them first...or at least that's the excuse I'll give my husband.

No comments: