Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Artist Interview: Pamela Munger

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to do more of these Artist Interviews because I love getting to know all of the amazing artists out there.  So, for the first interview of the year 2012, I give you Pamela Munger of pamelam.etsy.com.  Her work is fun and dynamic with lots of texture and color.  The abstract landscapes are very beautiful.  I'd like to live in "Green and Yellow Fields," and "Snow at the Foothills."  
Green and Yellow Fields, 18x18 Oil on Canvas.
 1. Were you always an art kid, or did you stumble upon it later in life?

I wasn't an artsy kid at all, unless coloring in coloring books count. I thought one had to be gifted in art in order to do art. I don't come from an artsy family-- my father was an engineer and my mother was a homemaker and the art we had in our home was strictly traditional prints and one original painting of a barn that I believe was bought at a furniture store. 

What happened was, about 10 years ago I started feeling crafty and creative and was looking for some outlet....I dabbled in writing, learned some tunes on the guitar, but nothing really took. Then, 6 years ago, my husband bought me a paint set from a hobby store for xmas and I painted my first painting and that's all it took for me to become completely obsessed with painting.

2. What style of art is your favorite and why?

I love semi-abstract pieces. Because there's a hint of what it is representing but the artist has taken liberty and creativity and produced the image with something more to say. 
More Than Green, 10x10 Oil on Canvas.
 3. What do you use for inspiration, or how do you generate ideas?

Other artists are always an inspiration of course and the internet is so fabulous for looking at great art. I'm sort of all over the place with my paintings because I'm always thinking of different things I can do, plus I get bored easily and can't stand to do the same thing over and over again. I get ideas from photos I take and images I see, and colors and light and texture. Many of my paintings start off as one thing and then morph into something completely different than I intended. I'm very loose when I paint and am attracted to the idea that I'm not completely sure what I will produce. It makes for a more exciting and fun process.

4. Walk us through your creative process from idea to finished project.

I'm a fast painter so most of my time is spent deciding what to paint. ( I love how painting tells you who you are as a person) It really depends on my mood. I might want to paint in oils one day and do some abstract landscapes, so I'll look at some photos I have and choose some colors and start mixing with a palette knife. I've got music playing, maybe some blues, I'll take a canvas and cover it in an acrylic color, wait a few minutes for it to dry, then I'll start laying on the oil paint. I decide as I go. If I don't like what I see, I scrape it off and start over. (I love how painting takes a certain amount of bravery)
One Alone, 16x20 Oil on Canvas.
 5. What is a typical day in your life?

Right now, I work full time as a case manager for children with disabilities. The weekends are the only time I have for painting. Maybe that will change some day. We have a farm where we grow hops for the craft brew industry and when that is successful enough, I'll quit my job and have more time for painting. Yeah, right!

6. What do you think draws you to other people's work?

That's a tough question.If you saw the art in my house you'd think, huh...wonder why she bought that? There are just too many reasons to say why I'm drawn to a work. That's the great thing about art....it produces an individualistic response.

7. What are your interests/hobbies?

Ah, any easy question! Other than painting. my second love is reading great literature. I was a lit major and taught English for several years. I also ski and cook and hike and obsess about my hair and chew gum alot.
Snow at the Foothills, 20x20 Oil on Canvas.
8. Is this your full time job, or do you have a job out-of-studio?

I wish painting was my full time job! See above.
Waterway, 24x24 Oil on Canvas.
 9. What is your favorite piece you've ever made and why?

Hmmm.....usually it's my latest piece. Right now I'm working on a commission for my boss....a Hawaiian landscape. I pretty much love it and may take it for myself. Ssssh, don't tell.

10. What advice would you give to an artist just starting out in the business world?

The business world of art? Sell online.
West, 10x10 Oil on Canvas.

11. Describe your work space.

My work space is in our home office which I share with hubs. I have a small corner which I try to keep contained and often don't. There is usually a smudge of paint on our business papers and on the computer mouse. Painting is a little messy and I'm not a clean freak. I paint on an easel and have a table and supply cabinet and my paintings are all over the house, in various stages, some completed and drying, some I plan to paint over, and some for sale on my etsy site. 

12. Did you face any setbacks on your path to being an artist?

Nothing really to make note of. You do have to overcome your fear of people not caring for your art. You can't take it personally, everyone has different tastes and are on their own artistic journey.


The artist's workspace.

13. What milestones, goals, or achievements are you striving for right now? 

To increase my presence on the web and sell double what I sold in 2011. To get hubs to make enough money with the hop farm so we can build a new home with a separate studio for me :) If everyone would just please start drinking more craft brew, thank you. Cheers! Thanks Julia for this opportunity!!

And thank you Pamela for letting me interview you!  Her work can also be viewed here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOUR WORK! WHERE DO YOU EXHIBIT?
FRAN SELL? Prints?>