Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chow Down.

This is a few days late of course, but I made this as a side dish last night and my anti-anything-green husband said it was very good and I should make it again. I started with this Spinach and Rice Casserole Recipe from Taste of Home, but tweaked it as always.

Spinach, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole
Makes Enough for 6

1/2 a Yellow Onion Chopped
6-8 Button Mushrooms Sliced
2 Tbsp. Butter
1/2 Cup Jasmine Rice
Two handfuls of Orzo Pasta (I added them on a whim)
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1/2 Packet Frozen Chopped Spinach
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese

Preheat oven to 375. I sauteed the onion in the butter while I sliced the mushrooms. Then I added the mushrooms and let them cook with the onions while I squeezed the water from the spinach and measured out the rice. I added the rice to the skillet and stirred until they were lightly toasted then added the spinach, orzo, and broth. I let it come to a boil and simmered it for at least ten minutes. I added the salt and pepper right before putting it in a 2qt. casserole dish. Top with Parmesan Cheese and put it in the oven for 20 minutes. Extremely tasty, and very easy.

No comments: