Monday, October 1, 2012

Artist Interview: Mia Buchanan of Miart Design Creation.

Today's interview is with Mia Buchanan of Miart Design Creation.  I stumbled upon her pink elephant graffiti style painting, and was hooked.  She was kind enough to let me ask her a few questions so that all of us could get to know her better.  

Pink Elephant with Vintage Style Silver Pattern.
1. Were you always an art kid, or did you stumble upon it later in life?

Since I got first prize for drawing at Pre-school in Japan, I was a kid always good in art class. I started taking Art seriously when I entered at High school. I went to regular High school at day time and went to Art pre-collage after noon. I painted more than 6 hours almost everyday. However, I decided to get a Graphic design job instead of pursuing art when I come to U.S.A. for College. I got a Bachelor degree for Graphic design and I worked for MTV and AD agency for Canon. 

Pantone Color Nail Polish Painting.
2. What style of art is your favorite and why?

I like a combination of street art and graphic design. I like well designed art with calculation. My favorite artists are Tes one and Mr BrainWash. I like art where all kinds of media and color are mixed. It looks calculated but still has organic flow in the painting. Because of my background as graphic designer, I like a piece that has a strong impact and is visually beautiful instead of not so beautiful but a lot of message behind it.

3. What do you use for inspiration, or how do you generate ideas?

A lot of ideas come from images in magazines, photos and everyday life. I like to combine and narrow the concept in my head, then I sketch on the paper with pencil.
Two Donuts from the Dessert Series.

4. Walk us through your creative process from idea to finished project.

I expect some kind of accident will happen when I paint. ( such as paint dripping, scratch, grunge..) I don't want to paint exactly the same as I sketch. I enjoy the accident and that is  the part of fun of hand painting.

5. What is a typical day in your life?

After I send the kids to school,  I go to Bikram Yoga. After I am back to home, it's time to check all emails and art prints orders.  If there is any time left before the kids get home, I will paint but normally its not enough time to finish so I go back to paint later in the night.




Materialistic Girl - Pink/Gold.

6. What do you think draws you to other people's work?

I do like to see what kind of techniques other artist use. Observing other people's skill sometimes gives me a hint for my next creation.

7. What are your interests/hobbies?

My hobby is Yoga.

8. Is this your full time job, or do you have a job out-of-studio?

Illustration and Art are my main focus, but I do freelance jobs as graphic designer as well.
Original Flower Painting.
 9. What is your favorite piece you've ever made and why?


I don't have my favorite yet.

10. What advice would you give to an artist just starting out in the business world?

Making beautiful artwork is not enough of a skill to be successful.  Artists still have to know how to sell their name and make their art as valuable as possible. Marketing is really important.

11. Describe your work space.

My work space smells like Art class in school. It's really a calming smell to me. I do all graphic jobs and painting job at my work space.  I have 2 scanners, 2 Macs, and 1 printer, a lot of canvases and spray paints.

A view of Mia's Studio.

12. Did you face any setbacks on your path to being an artist?

It is always difficult for me when friends or family members ask me to make a painting and they expect me to not to charge them.

13. What milestones, goals, or achievements are you striving for right now?

I try to have group shows and showcase more so I can sell my name as an artist. Also, I am always looking forward to meeting other creative people because not only do they inspire me but it makes for another opportunity for a show or collaboration. My dream goal in  the future is showing my art at Miami Basel. The event place is heaven for all artists.

Her work can also be found at ZaPow! Gallery.
And prints are available at MiartPrintCreation.




No comments: