Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chow Down: Barley, Mushroom, and Chickpea Soup.

I made the most amazing soup last night. I knew I wanted to make something healthy, and soup and sandwiches sounded really great. I found two recipes that kind of sounded good, so I combined them, and the result was the best soup I ever had.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I was too busy eating to stop long enough to photograph a thing.

Barley, Mushrooms, and Chickpea Soup:
Ingredients:
4 C. Beef Broth
2 C. Water (plus potentially more)
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, Chopped
2 Large Button Mushrooms, Sliced
2 Baby Portobello Mushrooms, Sliced
4 Carrots, Chopped
1/2 Package Frozen Spinach, Chopped
4 Garlic Cloves
1 Can Chickpeas, Drained, and rinsed
1 Can Diced Tomatoes, Undrained
1 C. Barley, Rinsed and soaked for about an hour
2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Cumin
Salt and Peper

Directions:
In a large soup pot, add olive oil and allow to heat up. Add onion and stir with wooden spoon to coat. Simmer until translucent, stirring often. Add garlic and mushrooms and continue stirring another 3-5 minutes until mushrooms start to cook. Add carrots, spinach, chickpeas, tomatoes, barley (drained), paprika, cumin, salt and pepper, broth, and water. Allow to come to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for at least an hour, or until your carrots are tender to your liking. Eat a giant bowl, maybe two if you're extra hungry. I put a tiny bit of Romano Cheese on mine, and dipped a Colby-Jack Grilled Cheese in it too.

No comments: