Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spinach Pesto is my new favorite thing.

I've been extremely hesitant to try to get my husband to eat pesto. Green foods and he are not friendly. Well, a few nights ago I threw caution to the wind and whipped up a batch of Spinach Pesto, but I made it a bit creamier with Sour Cream. I added some shrimp and mixed it with linguine. Scrumptious. My husband ate it, willingly, and had a second helping, ate it the next night, AND took it to work for his lunch today. I think we have a winner. You know it's good when he will eat that much of it, all the while knowing it has 'green stuff' in it.

Here is the recipe I used:
Spinach Pesto (Adapted from Eating Well).
1/2 C. Toasted Walnuts
2 Slices Wheat Bread with crusts removed
1 tsp. Garlic Powder, or 1 Garlic Clove (I didn't have any fresh garlic, so I used powder)
1/2 Pkg. Frozen Chopped Spinach squeezed dry (I used the other half in soup the night before)
3 Large Spoonfuls of Sour Cream (About 1/2 Cup)
1/2 C. Romano Cheese (or Parmesan, I happened to have Romano)
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Precooked Frozen Shrimp (thawed, and de-tailed)
Linguine Pasta (cooked, and drained--do this last so that the pasta is very hot to meld with the pesto)

Using a food processor, pulse walnuts, bread, garlic powder, cheese, salt, and pepper until fine crumbs. Add spinach, and sour cream and pulse again until no large pieces are left. Drizzle in olive oil and pulse a few more times. If you want add shrimp and pulse just enough to chop them a bit. Mix with Pasta. This made two meals for us, plus leftovers. I'd say it'd feed six fairly easily.

No comments: