Monday, August 29, 2011

My Mornings.

Feeding Chickens, 1915. Via ceropegia on Flickr.

I'm really proud of the steps I've taken lately to become self-sufficient. As Jenna from Cold Antler Farm similarly wrote a while back when her garden wasn't going exactly as planned, I'm learning how to become self-sufficient, but I'm not having to depend on it just yet. My garden became overgrown with weeds from my inability to get out there as much as I like (I now know that Joelee isn't a big fan of gardening, and I also know that next year I won't have to worry about her whereabouts as much as I did this year because she'll be yet another year older and thus more independent). Before my garden became a jungle, I ate lots of meals off of it, and froze lots of bags of pureed tomatoes, and green beans, so I don't consider it a complete loss.
My rabbits are thriving, and I'm very pleased with how they are producing meat for my family. I've got a small goat herd down at the barn, a batch of chicks to add to my flock of chickens, and a few sheep to put in the freezer this winter. Plus, next year I'll be adding more livestock and trying yet again at a successful garden. It is all trial and error and so far the outcome has been more positive than negative.

This morning I did the farm chores, fed the kid, fed myself, got bread dough kneaded and rising, and a batch of granola in the oven (my kitchen smells amazing right now). I'm making spinach pesto linguine for supper, and I have a huge feeling of satisfaction in knowing exactly what I'm feeding my family. Here lately about every other morning finds me making bread and granola. It's become a wonderful routine, and truly doesn't even feel like a chore. Plus, the outcome is so tasty that it really is a win-win.

The image I illustrated with is inspiration for me. I want to be as incredible as the farm women were in the "early days." I'm the 'farmer' here. My husband helps, but he works off farm, so it's my duty to make things stick together here. I'm not out to make money (although what little I do make helps some). No, my main objective is to raise food for us. A wonderful perk of small farm living is that my daughter gets to learn so much about responsibility, and just the wonderment of the cycle of life.

No comments: