Sunday, September 13, 2009

I took myself to the movies...

I'd wanted to go and see "Julie & Julia" since I first saw the trailer--I've always had an affinity for Julia Child since we share the name and she reminds me somewhat of my grandmother in personality. Overall it was a good movie, I laughed out loud which is always a sign that it was a hit with me. I came out of the theater feeling like I could take on the world--which I always appreciate as well. Uplifting/inspiring movies are my favorites. This one being a true story of two women succeeding with their goals/dreams made it even better. I can only hope that my business will become a successful venture and that I will have lived my dream life someday.

I wrote a post last week with my to-do list on it. One of those was to write a goal sheet for myself and my business--I came up with 100 goals--I would've kept going but a hundred was a nice sound number to stop at for the time being. Here's the list:
  1. Start Eating Better.
  2. Buy Local vs. using corporations--Farmer's Markets vs. Walmart.
  3. Buy more fresh foods vs. processed.
  4. Keep moving forward with my blog.
  5. Use gallivants, find small towns, photograph constantly, interview people, find fixer-uppers, blog about all of it.
  6. Clip Coupons.
  7. Exercise and be more active.
  8. Can and freeze more produce next summer.
  9. By a printer that I can use to sell my digital work on etsy.
  10. Buy Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop when I can afford it.
  11. Own a herd of registered Brown Swiss.
  12. Have a small herd of dairy goats.
  13. Buy more chickens, some Muscovy ducks, and a batch of geese to raise and sell from.
  14. Try my hand at heritage hogs and hair sheep.
  15. Learn how to sew, knit, and crochet.
  16. Enter my work in a Juried Art Show.
  17. Sell my work at an Art Festival or Art Fair.
  18. Sell excess produce/livestock at a Farmer's Market.
  19. Start fixing up furniture to sell online.
  20. Have my art, house, or myself featured in a magazine, blog, or book.
  21. Write a book and have it published.
  22. Raise a healthy, happy kid.
  23. Be a good mom.
  24. Read at least a book a month.
  25. Do something creative at least once a week.
  26. Re-vamp my wardrobe, image, and style to be the person I've always wanted to be.
  27. Create a farm-stay/internship program on my farm.
  28. Learn all that I can about homesteading, agritourism, organics, self-sufficiency, and all sorts of other subjects that interest me.
  29. Join the Greene County Historical Society.
  30. Join the Local Growers Co-op.
  31. Join some kind of art organization.
  32. Go to at least an auction a month (weather permitting).
  33. Go on at least a gallivant a week (weather permitting).
  34. Take a bee-keeping course and own my own hive.
  35. Take at least a hundred photographs a week.
  36. Raise some turkeys.
  37. Travel all over the country on extended gallivants.
  38. Attend the Junk Gypsy Prom in Warrenton, Texas.
  39. Go to the Farm Chicks show in Washington State.
  40. Go to the Country Living show in Ohio.
  41. Make a home out of this house.
  42. Become as self-sufficient as possible.
  43. Become more organized.
  44. Have my own printmaking studio with press and supplies.
  45. Learn how to screen print and how to use a letterpress.
  46. Someday have the ability to have a larger studio space.
  47. Build a couple more livestock barns for our farm.
  48. Own a large-breed puppy (most likely a mutt).
  49. Go to one of the "big-time" thoroughbred sales.
  50. Own a couple broodmares bred to high-end studs.
  51. Go back to college and get my Bachelor's and Master's in Fine Arts.
  52. Give art workshops/lessons from home.
  53. Buy a potter's wheel and kiln.
  54. Fill my house with work from etsy artists that I admire.
  55. Encourage creativity in my kid from an early age.
  56. Encourage a love of agriculture, art, nature, and auctions in my kid at an early age.
  57. Balance motherhood, The Gallivanting Girl, and my life effectively.
  58. Try new foods often.
  59. Learn something new every month.
  60. Grow a kitchen herb garden next year.
  61. Keep adding to my library.
  62. Go to as many summer festivals as possible.
  63. Make a point to go to yard sales in the summer.
  64. Write stories often.
  65. Research subjects and people I find interesting.
  66. Keep an idea notebook with me always.
  67. Continue to keep a journal.
  68. Get a chaise lounge and use it for a reading area in my bedroom.
  69. Be a good wife to my wonderful husband.
  70. Build a light table for my studio.
  71. Find a decent drawing table for my studio.
  72. Buy a bigger self-healing cutting mat.
  73. Learn Yoga and Pilate's.
  74. Have six-pack abs (hey, a girl can dream).
  75. Have legs that I can confidently wear shorts with.
  76. Have an amazing nature collection.
  77. Put a huge front porch on our house.
  78. Finish our attic into a usable room.
  79. Make a conscious effort to recycle.
  80. Learn how to make glass bottles into drinking glasses.
  81. Take a glass-blowing class.
  82. Put a huge stone wall out by the road (that looks like English fences).
  83. Have cattle crossings at the entrances to the drives.
  84. Widen the driveway to make it even between the rows of trees.
  85. Buy an aluminum stock-trailer.
  86. Buy a full-size pickup to pull the trailer.
  87. Own a Mac computer.
  88. Buy more land.
  89. Create our own version of Egenolf Lake.
  90. Create a patio/outdoor area on the south side of our house.
  91. Meet some of the artists, bloggers, and writers that I admire.
  92. Learn calligraphy.
  93. Get a non-carsick truck dog.
  94. Try to write out Grandma's novel that she wrote pieces of.
  95. Start a women's club.
  96. Learn to feel comfortable in my own skin.
  97. Have a column in a newspaper.
  98. Become a well-known artist.
  99. Always do what I love.
  100. Make my husband, family, friends, and especially myself proud of me.

As you can see it is quite the varied list, but it's a list I plan on accomplishing a lot of in the coming years. If you don't have goals what do you have to live for, right? It never hurts to dream--that's for sure.

No comments: